Hi team,
Now I am using GHOST microgrid to connect wiht a physical microgrid.
Do you know what kind of functions the microgrid controlloer should have?
Thank you.
Hi there,
Connecting the GHOST microgrid model to a physical microgrid or controller via Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) or Power Hardware-in-the-Loop (PHIL) is an excellent setup. Because the GHOST benchmark (derived from the NREL/MIT Lincoln Lab Banshee distribution network) includes multi-feeder topologies, mixed DERs (PV, BESS, Diesel Generators, CHP), and tiered loads, your Microgrid Controller (MGCC / Energy Management System) needs to cover both high-level management and fast operational functions.
In accordance with industry standards (such as IEEE 2030.7 for Microgrid Controller specifications and IEEE 2030.8 for testing), here are the essential functions your microgrid controller should implement:
-
Mode Transition & Grid Interconnection
Planned Islanding: Seamlessly transfer the microgrid from grid-connected mode to islanded mode without violating voltage or frequency limits.
Unplanned Islanding Detection: Quickly detect loss of mains / grid disconnection at the Point of Common Coupling (PCC) and trigger islanded operating modes.
Resynchronization & Reconnection: Match voltage magnitude, frequency, and phase angle across the PCC breaker before reclosing to the main utility grid.
Black Start & Grid Restoration: Coordinate the energization sequence, starting with grid-forming assets (e.g., BESS or Diesel Generator) and progressively picking up feeders and loads. -
Secondary Frequency & Voltage Regulation
Frequency & Voltage Restoration: Compensate for steady-state deviations caused by primary droop controls on inverters and generators, restoring system frequency (50/60\text{ Hz}) and nominal voltages.
Reactive Power / Voltage Control (Volt-VAR): Regulate feeder voltage profiles and power factor across feeders and at the PCC. -
Power Management & DER Dispatch
Active/Reactive Power Balancing: Dispatch active and reactive power setpoints to available DERs (BESS, PV, Gensets, CHP) based on availability, efficiency, or cost.
BESS State-of-Charge (SoC) Management: Supervise charge/discharge cycles to prevent battery overcharging or deep discharge, maintaining enough reserve for islanding contingencies.
Renewable Curtailment & Peak Shaving: Throttle PV generation if demand is low during islanded operation, and shave peak demand during grid-connected operation. -
Prioritized Load Management & Shedding
The GHOST model explicitly models Critical, Priority, and Interruptible loads:
Under-Frequency / Under-Voltage Load Shedding (UFLS / UVLS): Automatically shed interruptible and non-critical loads during contingency events to maintain system stability.
Demand Response & Load Reconnection: Restore priority loads in stages as generation capacity stabilizes after islanding or grid reconnection. -
Adaptive Protection & Fault Management
Setting Group Switching: Microgrids have significantly higher short-circuit levels when grid-connected than when islanded (inverter-dominated). The controller should signal relays to switch protection setting groups between modes.
DER Coordination & IEEE 1547 Conformance: Supervise ride-through (LVRT/LFRT) requirements and trip permissions during grid disturbances. -
Communication & HIL/PHIL Interface
Standard Industrial Protocols: Support protocols like Modbus TCP/IP, DNP3, or IEC 61850 (GOOSE/MMS) for real-time telemetry and setpoint delivery.
Safety & Heartbeat Monitoring: Implement watchdog timers, fail-safe trip signals, and communication latency supervision between the controller and the real-time simulator / physical hardware.
Recommended Next Steps for Testing with GHOST:
Start in SIL / Controller in the Loop (CIL): Validate your controller logic against the GHOST model in software before closing the physical HIL loop.
Transition Scenarios: Test steady-state grid-connected dispatch first, then test planned and unplanned islanding sequences.
Hardware Scaling (if using PHIL): Ensure power and voltage scaling between the simulated GHOST network (e.g., medium-voltage feeder buses) and the physical laboratory amplifier interface are properly configured.
Hope this helps guide your controller design!
Hi Vincent, thanks for sharing this.I am new to GHOST microgrid concept and currently learning HIL testing with STM32 controllers. Your question about connecting a physical controller is exactly what I want to understand as well.Could you please share which hardware interface you are planning to use for this connection? I would love to learn from your setup.
Hi Vincent, this is really interesting! I’ve been researching into GHOST microgrids, so I’d genuinely love to understand more about what you’re trying to build.
What does your physical microgrid setup look like, and what controller are you hoping to connect to GHOST? I’m especially curious about how you plan to exchange signals between the controller and the simulated microgrid . Are you considering analogue/digital I/O, CAN, Ethernet, or something else?
Please keep us updated on how it goes! I believe models can be uploaded here too, so if you are able to share even a simplified version of your model or a diagram of the final connection setup on the OPAL‑RT Community, I think it would be an amazing resource for us to learn from and discuss further.
Hi Vincent, this is really interesting! I’ve been researching into GHOST microgrids, so I’d genuinely love to understand more about what you’re trying to build.
What does your physical microgrid setup look like, and what controller are you hoping to connect to GHOST? I’m especially curious about how you plan to exchange signals between the controller and the simulated microgrid . Are you considering analogue/digital I/O, CAN, Ethernet, or something else?
Please keep us updated on how it goes! I believe models can be uploaded here too, so if you are able to share even a simplified version of your model or a diagram of the final connection setup on the OPAL‑RT Community, I think it would be an amazing resource for us to learn from and discuss further.
Hi Ahmer, that sounds really interesting!
I’m also currently trying to learn more about HIL testing and how physical controllers are integrated with simulated systems. Are you working on a specific microgrid or converter-control application with your STM32?
@jakub Thank you for your information. I have already bought the Siemens PLC controller and I want to connect the Siemens PLC controller to the OPAL-RT and control the GHOST microgrid in HYPERSIM.
However, I still do not have much time to write the code of PLC. I know some people use RTAC as a controller.
@Parija Thank you for your help. I have already tuned on Modbus TCP/IP, DNP3, and IEC 61850. My next step is to write the code of Siemens PLC controller.
@Ahmer Thank you very much.
@Parija I saw there are decoupling elements in GHOST microgrid. What is the purpose of using decupling elements?